Avoiding Scams During Luxury Real Estate Rental Process
Avoiding Scams During Rental Process
There has been a recent increase in scams in the real estate business regarding rentals of properties. It is unfortunate that this happens but there are steps that can be taken to make sure you are not the victim of one of these scams.
With that in mind, we have put together a list of suggestions that will help you when you face an offer that seems too good to be true.
- Sign on with an experienced real estate agent; having experience on your side is invaluable
- Understand the rental process.
- Never send a money order prior to meeting the “landlord.”
- Ask the landlord if you can see their I.D.
- If the “landlord” works for a property management company, call that company to make sure the purported landlord works for them.
- If you are leasing in a gated community or condominium, ask to see a rental application.
- Make sure that the landlord is current on their mortgage payments.
- Check with your county or state and make sure the property management company is a company in good standing.
For those of you considering leasing a property that you own, keep these suggestions in mind:
- Make sure you regularly check on your rental property; if you do not live close to the property, hire a home watch service or arrange with one of the neighbors to keep you updated on your renters.
- If you rent the property often, change the locks with each rental.
- Make sure you ask for references from renters and then make sure you follow up by checking the references.
- Verify the renter’s employment.
- Run a credit check on the renters.
- Make sure that the renter thoroughly reads the rental agreement; go over any points that may be confusing.
Whether you are a renter or a landlord, leasing a property is a huge investment and must be entered into carefully. Yes, taking the above steps is time-consuming, but it is always better safe than sorry in a transaction of this type.
Remember, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is! I cannot over-emphasize the point that having an experienced real estate agent/broker is the safest route to take. If we at SportsRelocation.com can be of any assistance, please, give us a call and let us take the worry out of any real estate transaction.
SportsRelocation.com® assists players/coaches of the NBA, WNBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, and Entertainers relocate nationwide by servicing your Real Estate & Relocation needs. SportsRelocation.com is a licensed real estate brokerage in Las Vegas, NV, Marina Del Rey, CA & Beverly Hills, CA.
The Sports Relocation team is waiting to hear from you. Our primary goal is to assist you with all of the challenges related to transitioning into your new home. Visit us at http://www.SportsRelocation.com or call us at 800-783-1421